Be in the Know: 2018 Social Media Statistics You Should Know
March 12, 2018
- Marketing •
- News •
- Social Media •
Cydney Hatch• March 12, 2018
Social media marketing is not a random whirlwind of people coming and going without a trace—remarking alone is a testament of that! Ha!
Actually, social media marketing is a highly tracked place full of analytics, statistics, behaviors and trends! Everything on the internet is tracked from optimal times of engagement, likes and reactions, click through rates, demographics to even referral traffic!
There are so many statistics to keep up on, many of which marketers are missing out on. Although social media is always evolving, social media stats can be useful in any marketing strategy!
Why Social Media Statistics Matter
For example, 2017 has been an interesting year as attention spans have decreased to 8 seconds for most social media users. Knowing the change in attention spans can help marketers tighten their videos and overall presentations.
Each day the number of social media users are increasing so why miss out on information you need to reach them?
Being able to create content that reaches those numbers in 2018 will matter to your business!
2018: a new year, a new you, and a new opportunity to develop or improve your online marketing strategies using social media marketing stats! Make the most out of your social media marketing with the numbers below:
2018: Social Media Trends to Consider
General Social Media
- Close to half the world’s population (3.03 billion people) are on some type of social media.
- 64% of online shoppers say that a video on social media helped them decide on a product to buy.
- Only 43% of online stores receive significant traffic from their social media pages.
- Acknowledgment is key: 77% of Twitter users appreciate a brand more when their tweet is responded to. It takes about 10 hours on average for businesses to respond to a tweet, even though customers want a response within four hours.
- Content marketing is a top priority of B2B businesses after brand building and social media engagement.
- 59% of adults between 18 and 29 are using Instagram.
- The average person spends about 20 minutes on Facebook or one in every six minutes a person will spend online.
- 1.57 billion YouTube users watch about 5 billion videos on average every single day. Of the 2.1 billion total accounts on Facebook, 270 million profiles are fake.
- 86% of women will look at social media before deciding to make a purchase.
- People are accessing 69% of their media on their smartphones.
- 89% of people on smartphones are using apps, while only 11% are using standard websites. Unsurprisingly, Facebook is the most popular app at 19% (measured by time spent).
- Pinterest is number one for mobile social media, with 64% of referral traffic being driven by smartphones and tablets.
- 57% of all mobile users will not recommend a business if their mobile website is poorly designed or unresponsive.
- 40% of all mobile users are searching for a local business or interest.
- Mobile websites that load in 5 seconds or less will end in a viewing session that’s 70% longer than their slower counterparts.
- 92% of American teens accessed the internet on a daily basis, where 56% claim to connect several times a day, and 24% are connected almost constantly to the internet.
- Total Number of Monthly Active Instagram Users: 800 million
- Total Number of Daily Active Instagram Users: 500 million
- Instagram Stories Daily Active Users: 300 million
- Number of Photos Shared to Date: 40 billion
- Number of Businesses on Instagram: 25 million
- Number of Instagram Likes per day: 4.2 billion
- Number of Photos uploaded per day: 95 million, up from 70 million last year
- 68% of Instagram users are Females.
- 80% of Instagram users come from outside of the U.S.
- 77.6 million Instagram users are from US.
- Instagram is used by 31% of American women and 24% of men.
- 32% of all Internet users are on Instagram.
- 59% of internet users between the ages of 18 and 29 use Instagram and 33% of internet users between the ages of 30 and 49 use Instagram
- 38% of female internet users use Instagram and 26% of male internet users use Instagram
- 17% of teens say Instagram is the most important social media site (up from 12% in 2012)
- Instagram is expected to generate about $1.5 billion in mobile advertising sales this year and $5 billion in 2018.
- More than 40 Billion photos have been uploaded to Instagram so far.
- 200 million Instagrammers actively visit the profile of a business every day
- Posts with at least one hashtag average 12.6% more engagement.
- Brazil ranked second in female user share, the country is home to the largest total Instagram user base in Latin America and second worldwide.
- When Instagram introduced videos, 5 million videos were uploaded in the first 24 hours.
- Instagram videos get 2 times the engagement of photos that any other social media platform.
- The most popular hashtags on Instagram are #Love, #Instagood, #Me, #Cute, and #Follow.
- Pizza is the most Instagrammed food globally, followed by Sushi.
- Total Number of Monthly Active Users: 2.072 billion
- Total Number of Mobile Monthly Active Users: 1.66 billion
- Total Number of Desktop Daily Active Users: 1.368 billion
- Total number of Mobile Daily Active Users: 1.57 billion
- Facebook users are 53% female and 47% male.
- Average Facebook user has 155 “friends”.
- 56% of online Seniors aged 65+ are on Facebook and 63% are between age 50-64.
- 87% of online users of age 18-29 are on Facebook.
- 74% college graduates are on Facebook.
- 72% of online users of income more than $75K are on Facebook.
- 82 percent of 18 to 29-year-olds online in the U.S. use Facebook.
- 79 percent of 30 to 49-year-olds online in the U.S. use Facebook.
- 56 percent of U.S. online users ages 65 and up use Facebook.
- More than 40 million small businesses have active pages
- More than 83% of daily active users are outside the US and Canada the number has grown from 75% in previous year which goes on to show the increased growth in rest of the world.
- Percent of 18-34 year old who check Facebook when they wake up is 48%.
- Total Number of Monthly Active Twitter Users: 330 million
- Total Number of Tweets sent per Day:500 million
- Percentage of Twitter users on Mobile: 80%
- Number of Twitter Daily Active Users: 100 million
- 24% of all internet male users use Twitter, whereas 21% of all internet female users use Twitter.
- 79% of Twitter accounts are based outside the United States
- There are over 67 million Twitter users in US
- 37% of Twitter users are between ages of 18 and 29, 25% users are 30-49 years old.
- 56% of Twitter users $50,000 and more in year.
- The top three countries by user count outside the U.S. are Brazil (27.7 million users), Japan (25.9 million), and Mexico (23.5 million).
- Total ad engagements were up 91% year-over-year.
- Twitter can handle 18 quintillion user accounts.
- More than 100 million tweets contained GIFs in 2015.
- Saudi Arabia has the highest percent of internet users who are active on Twitter.
- Number of Twitter timeline views in 2014 is 200 billion.
- 83% of 193 UN member countries have Twitter presence.
- Twitter’s revenue per employee is $488,913.
- Total Number of Monthly Active Pinterest Users: 175 million (source)
- Number of Pinterest Users from the US: 75 million
- Number of Pinterest Users from Outside US: 100 million
- Total Number of Pinterest Pins: 50 billion+
- Total Number of Pinterest Boards: 1 billion+
- Total Number of Pinterest Users who save Shopping Pins on Boards Daily: 2 million
- 81% of Pinterest users are actually Females.
- 40% of New Signups are Men; 60% New Signups are Women.
- Men account for only 7% of total pins on Pinterest.
- Millennials use Pinterest as much as Instagram.
- Median age of a Pinterest user is 40, however majority of active pinners are below 40.
- Half of Pinterest users is $50K or greater per year, with 10 percent of Pinteresting households making greater than $125K.
- 30% of all US social media users are Pinterest users.
- 60% of Pinterest users are from US.
- 87% of Pinners have purchased a product because of Pinterest.
- 72% of Pinners use Pinterest to decide what to buy offline.
- Over 5% of all referral traffic to websites comes from Pinterest.
- Pinterest said 80% of its users access Pinterest through a mobile device.
- 93% of active pinners said they use Pinterest to plan for purchases and 87% said they’ve purchased something because of Pinterest.
- Two-thirds of pins represent brands and products.
- Food & Drink & Technology are the most popular categories for men.
- Total Number of LinkedIn Users: 500 million
- Total Number of Monthly Active LinkedIn Users: 250 million
- Total Number of LinkedIn Users from US: 133 million
- Percentage of users that use LinkedIn Daily: 40%
- Number of New LinkedIn New Members per Second: 2
- 70% of LinkedIn users are from Outside of US.
- 40 million students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn.
- There are 57% of male users and 44% female users on LinkedIn.
- After US, India, Brazil, Great Britain and Canada has the highest number of LinkedIn users.
- 13% of Millennials (15-34 Years old) use LinkedIn.
- 28% of all internet male users use LinkedIn, whereas 27% of All Internet Female users use LinkedIn.
- 44% of LinkedIn users earn more than $75,000 in a year.
- There are over 39 million students and recent grads on LinkedIn.
- Total Number of Monthly Active Users: 300 million+
- Total Number of Daily Active Snapchat Users: 187 million
- Percentage of US Social Media users that Use Snapchat: 18%
- Number of Snaps Created Everyday (Photos & Videos): 1 million
- Average Time Spent per User on Daily Basis:30+ minutes
- Percentage of Daily Reach (18-34 Years old) in the US: 41%
- Number of Snapchat users who upload photos: 65%
- Number of Snapchat Daily Video Views: More than 10 billion
- 71% of Snapchat users are under 34 years old.
- Roughly 70% of Snapchat users are female.
- 30% of US Millennial Internet Users use Snapchat regularly.
- People under the age of 25 use Snapchat for 40 minutes on average every day, more than instagram’s latest stat for same demographic.
- 50% of Male College students share selfies on Snapchat, the number is higher in Female college students. 77% to be precise.
- 45% of Snapchat users are aged between 18-24.
- Snapchat reaches 11% of Total US Digital population.
- More than 25% of UK Smartphone users are on Snapchat, in Norway the number goes up to 50%.
- Active Snapchatters open the app 18+ time every day.
- Total Number of Daily Active YouTube Users: 30+ million.
- YouTube TV Paying Subscribers: 300,000.
- Number of Videos Shared to Date: 5+ billion.
- Number of Users Creating Content Shared to Date: 50 million.
- Average Viewing Session: 40 minutes, up 50% year-over-year
- Number of Videos Watched Per Day: 5 billion.
- Number of mobile YouTube views per day: 500 million.
- 62% of YouTube users are Males.
- 80% of YouTube users come from outside of the U.S.
- 9% of small businesses are on YouTube.
- 35+ and 55+ age groups are the fastest growing YouTube demographics.
- 75% of adults turn to YouTube for nostalgia rather than tutorials or current events.
- Millennials prefer YouTube two to one over traditional television.
- 37% of the coveted 18 – 34 demographic are binge-watching.
- YouTube services 88 countries in 76 languages (or 95% of all internet users).
- Males are primarily watching soccer or strategy games.
- Females are primarily watching beauty videos.
Now You Know!
Statistics can give us important insights and course of actions that can help formulate an effective marketing plan. We have the numbers to track everything we wish to manipulate and highlight in our marketing actions! Utilize them, and you can change any business plan around for better success!
But may we not lose sight of the true reason behind business. Stanley Marcus once said, “consumers are statistics, customers are people” and that is how we should use these numbers: to better serve and help our potential customers through our business and services.