The PPC Landing Page Optimization Series—Catching Mistakes
by Sarah Rodriguez • May 19, 2016
Let’s finish by taking a look at proofreading.
Although it might seem somewhat basic, proofreading is actually a key part of your landing page design process.
As I’ve mentioned previously, a great mobile and desktop landing page experience has a huge impact on how your page is perceived. But, no matter how well-designed your landing page is, a few typos or bad links can ruin the experience for your potential customers (and therefore ruin your conversion rate!).
Here is a quick list of mistakes to look for before pushing your landing page live:
- Read through your content—Is it easy to read and free of typos? Does your content flow make sense? Do you contradict yourself anywhere?
- Double-check your heading—Does it make sense? Does it match your ad copy? Is it free of typos?
- Check your links—If you have off-page links, do they work? Do in-page links work?
- Check your integrations—If you are using a CRM (and you should be), are all of your integrations set up properly and working well? It would be a real shame to go to all the work to build a high-converting landing page and then lose all of your leads to a failed integration.
- Check your URL—Does your URL work? Are all of your ads pointing to the correct URL?
- Check your steps—If your landing page has more than one step, are all of your transitions working properly and do they work in the right order?
- Check your confirmation page—Do your leads end up on the right page? Is it also typo-free?
Depending on the complexity of your page, proofreading your page can take a while, but I almost always find one error in every landing page, so proofreading is well worth the time.
As an added bonus, taking the time to proofread gives you a chance to go through your landing page and experience it in the same way your visitors will. If there’s something that seems confusing, off, or weird, you can expect your visitors will feel the same way.
Proofreading is where you can really optimize and perfect your landing page experience, even before your users have a chance to see your page.
Of course, with landing page testing, you can take things to a whole new level, but that’s a discussion for another article series.
A single mistake can be the difference between a high-converting landing page and a dud. It doesn’t make sense to put time and effort into crafting a great landing page experience and then leave typos in your copy!
To make sure that your landing page delivers on it’s potential, you need to take the time to go back through your page and check to make sure that everything works. It takes a bit of extra effort, but it’s worth it.
By the way, if you’d like me to proofread some of your PPC landing pages, let me know here or in the comments! I’d love to help.
Has proofreading ever saved your bacon?